Sunday, June 28, 2009

Ridiculous Song #7 - All-American Rejects, "It Ends Tonight"

(I know, a band that plays their own instruments! I hope you were sitting down already. Oh, and THIS ONE IS A TWO-FER, GET PUMPED.)

Your subtleties, they strangle me
I can't explain myself at all

I'm not even going to get into how something intangible like subtleties can literally strangle someone, but you know what? Let's give that to them, chalking it up to poetic license. But really, anything subtle cannot really "strangle" someone (assuming "strangle" can be figurative here). Subtleties usually go relatively unnoticed. But if you're being strangled, you notice. So this part really makes little sense, even if you take it in the least literal way possible. I mean, it's not like you're being strangled by something and then say "Wow! How subtle. I barely even noticed." And you can't explain yourself at all? Really? Because I think you ARE doing that for four minutes and six seconds (I have it on iTunes because I'm just THAT COOL).
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The walls start breathing, my mind's unweaving

Walls are breathing? How is that even symbolism? I'm rifling through my brain, trying to find a precedent for this as some metaphor, but it's an epic fail. When walls start breathing, either your heavy-breathing neighbor/family member/lover is invisible, or you just love acid.
And how is your mind unweaving? Again, not really a metaphor that's reflected in erudite literature. This makes no sense. Unless your mind is Tyra Banks between treatments. (Work!)


1 comment:

  1. They said it best themselves in that line. They can't explain themselves at all.

    ReplyDelete