Monday, June 22, 2009

Intro like Whoa

Hey everyone! I love music, but most of it is (admittedly cheesy) pop. I live in the US, so this becomes something people tease me about quite often. People do it lovingly, so I take it in stride, but it is at times frustrating because many other countries (e.g. the UK) are still hospitable to boybands, girlbands, and solo artists. (Quick example: Irish boyband Westlife tried to get their hit song "World of Our Own on the US radio. Radio hosts initially said yes, since they liked the song, but they rejected it once they found out it was from a boyband.)
A lot of people know me and know how I just love learning in general. I love to get lost in literature, politics, history, whatever...so people often wonder why I take such joy in lyrics like "Ain't no lie, baby, bye bye bye" or "If you wanna be my lover, you gotta get with my friend." I don't have much of an answer, except to say that I feel inclined (sorry if any of this sounds pretentious) toward intellectual books, movies, magazines, and other forms of media. When it comes to music, hey, I guess that's just an outlier.
As much as I love pop that's popular (sup redundancy) in the US as well as outside of the US, there are times when pop songs from artists I like (and dislike) make me cringe. They're either overly cheesy or just absurd/ridiculous. And when I think this of songs...well...you know it's bad. That's why I have this blog. It's all in good fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment