Friday, August 7, 2009

Ridiculous Song #18 - 98 Degrees, "The Hardest Thing"

Poor 98 degress. Legitimately talented guys who were often cast aside in favor of the flashier, "cooler" Backstreet Boys and Nsync (and Westlife!!! Just kidding, that's everywhere except where I fucking live). They just back up my theory that you can have a band with legitimately talented singers, but if they're given shitty material that isn't catchy or, well, as good, they're not going to do as well. You probably remember "Bye Bye Bye." Do you remember as many of the words to "My Everything"? That's what I thought.


Like Dr. Zhivago
All my love I'll be sending
And you will never know cuz
There can be no happy ending

Advanced literary reference in a bubblegum pop song? Say what? If it sounds like a bad idea, that's because it is. Songwriters for these sorts of bands/groups know that they need to connect to the audience, which is basically 12-year-olds (which I was when this came out, more or less). To connect, they don't need much in the way of lyrical complexity. Boyband? They want a girl because she is important and hot and they will be in love forever, ooh baby, yeahhh! The teeny-boppers get this and respond to it in the form of their parents' $$$. Did they really think the 12-year-old girls would be like, "OMG! Dr. Zhivago! I completely agree with their analysis here, as it really represents the nature of the work! ZOMG my retainer just fell out!!"? Because that's not what happens.

OH SNAP!!! This entry just became a twofer! YEAH.

Will we meet again?
Fate is a place and time.

No, it isn't. It's an abstract idea. Fate is not a place; no one says "OMG have you been to fate? It's nice - sandy beaches, hot cabana boys, and the BEST caipirinhas!" Fate is also not a time; no one says "Oh shit! I was supposed to get up for work but I accidentally woke up at fate o'clock!" Darn!" Nice try, guys.

No comments:

Post a Comment